FAQ - How do I set up my own publishing company?

You can set up your own publishing company by filling out an application at your local performing rights organization.

Member Comments

Posted by Scott Williams on 2004-12-01 at 5:00:17 pm

Could the person who answered this please provide LINKS or additional information to complete this process. Vague answer.  BMI is not easy on the look up.

Posted by william davis on 2005-02-24 at 9:09:46 pm

can you copyright lyrics only and hope it gets turned into a song?

Posted by stephanie on 2005-03-15 at 10:22:29 pm

I recently started my own company through ASCAP. You can go to their website [url=http://www.ascap.com]http://www.ascap.com[/url] and fill out the appropriate forms (they’re on the site in .pdf format) and mail them. They will then send you a welcome packet and you are officially registered. You can copyright lyrics only and if you register as a writer with ascap, you can register your lyrics under the title of “Author”. To publish, you must register with them as a writer and a publisher so you need to fill out both forms. If you still have questions, feel free to contact us at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted by Joan Bryant on 2012-07-20 at 6:35:01 am

Joan Bryant-Hollywood

Answer to starting your own publishing company.

1. File with the County Clerks Office. The name you want to call this.
The fee was $ 10.00.

2. File a Publishing Agreement with ( Both) or All ) Performing Rights Orgainizations. They will research and scan to see if anyone has the name you choose for your Publishing name.
Pay the fee 150.00 is BMI’s , ASCAP was $ 50.00. This may have changed in the fee for this. Check with them.

3. Next, You must file the name, owner ,when and where with News Paper, get this published, with-in one month.

4. What alot of people dont know is the rules, in the courts. Here in LA. if you file all of this with-in 30 days. They will not charge you for the filing, you will have to do for the DBA. I know because i called .

Now each and every song from this point on : Use your Publishing Company name on your Copyrights. 

You can register for the standard Publishing agreement for a fee, for you own personal publishing name, say if someone publishes your song , or you do. ( But if you plan to have a Publishing Company -this is two seperate things I,m talking about, then you will have to join both PRO’s.

If this is just about you, your music, songs. Then only one. With a PRO.

By- Joan Bryant

You need to be logged in to post comments.